The only Android TV box you should buy just got better.
Update: After a false start at the end of May, the Android 8.0 Oreo update is rolling out once again to NVIDIA Shield TV!
Big news for those of you who have NVIDIA Shield TV — which, by the way, is the only Android TV box you should consider right now. The Android 8.0 Oreo update (which brings it up to the latest major version of Android) is available starting today.
This’ll bring along a major update to the user interface. You’ll get new sections along the left side of the screen, with your favorite apps (customizable, of course), play next (where what you’ve been watching and playing recently will appear) and channels (which is what apps are now called, sort of).
In addition, Amazon Prime Video will get a major refresh, Plex Media Service is improved, and a whole bunch more.
And, of course, Google Assistant still plays a big role here, and that means you can take advantage of all the smart stuff you’ve got scattered throughout your home, accessible via the Shield remote or game controller.
A few other things NVIDIA says to look out for:
- Hold the back button to access to the settings menu from the home screen
- A higher polling rate for gaming mice for NVIDIA GameStream
- Improved support for game controllers like the Shield controller, Xbox 360 and DualShock controllers
- Can connect to Wifi without disconnecting Ethernet
- Improves Bluetooth re-pairing
To update your Shield TV, just head into the settings menu, then About, then choose the update option.
- Read our Shield Android TV review
- The latest Shield Android TV news
- Shield vs. Shield Pro: Which should I buy?
- Join the forum discussion
- Complete Shield Android TV specs
SOURCE: Android Central – Android Forums, News, Reviews, Help and Android Wallpapers – Read entire story here.